Doing a Christmas lights scavenger hunt is the perfect way to bring the whole family together and get older kids and younger kids interacting and making family memories this holiday season.
I’m going to be sharing this fun idea with you plus a great way to add in more fun activity ideas!
Using Christmas printables is a fun way to create a Christmas traditions without adding much to your “to-do” list.
Especially since I’ll be sharing some free printables with you along the way!
Let’s get started!
Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt Ideas (Ideas to Make it the Best Christmas Yet)
**quick disclaimer: the links to amazon are affiliate links. That means I get a small kick back for purchases you make at no extra cost to you (and if you want to learn more about affiliate marketing, follow me on IG!)**
I’m going to share some things we did last year to really up the family fun during our scavenger hunt.
Below you’ll find our favorite things to add to our light hunt during the Christmas season.
None of them take much prep but at the end of the night everyone will be able to say they can’t wait until you do it again next year!
Add any of these ideas below to your Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt List experience:
- Listen to Christmas Music – this just adds to the magical moment with all the Christmas lights! If you are going by foot it might be a little more difficult, but our phones are great for that!
- Bring a thermos of hot cocoa to share with the whole family! This is my favorite NON LEAKING thermos because spilt hot cocoa could ruin the whole mood! But, a full cup of hot chocolate will bring a smile to everyones face! And if you’re feeling extra brave brining along these hot cocoa mugs is an adorable addition!
- Set a time limit This is especially fun for families who enjoy a little competition! Knowing there is a time limit adds a sense or urgency and has potential to be so much fun! But, you know you’re family. If adding a time limit is going to be stressful for you or your kids. Maybe just skip this one!
- Do it on Christmas Eve – having a fun tradition to do on Christmas eve just may be the thing your family needs. Adding in a fun Christmas scavenger hunt is a great way to add in a lot of fun with little to no cost! This has quickly become our favorite Christmas tradition.
- Visit Different Neighborhoods – If you branch out and go to different neighborhoods you will so so many different Christmas items and different decorations!
- Christmas Cookies – Having the most festive cookies can illuminate your holiday cheer plus they’re just delicious! Here is one of my favorite recipe to follow that is always a hit and is super easy to make.
- Give a Prize to the Winner: This is such a fun way to add in a little extra excitement! Here are a few prize ideas:
Click this download button below for your free Christmas light scavenger hunt printables!
How to Create Your Own Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt Game:
In addition to using a printable Christmas light scavenger hunt.
You can also come up with a fun scavenger hunt game at your own home!
Here are the different items you’ll need to come up with your own scavenger hunt.
Materials for to create Christmas Scavenger Hunt:
- Scissors (my favorite kids safe scissors)
- Christmas Magazines
This is a fun Christmas activity the whole family can get into and become a yearly tradition.
Go through your Christmas magazines and cut out items like the ones I’ll list below.
Then once they are all cut out. Glue them on your paper to create your own Christmas scavenger hunt list full of items you want to find on your hunt!
If you can’t find all the items to cut out you and your family can draw them on the paper as well!
Related: Christmas Sensory for Toddlers
Item Ideas to Include on your Christmas Scavenger Hunt:
- Christmas Tree
- Candy Cane
- Baby Jesus
- Giant Inflatable
- Polar Bear
- Gingerbread House
- The Grinch
- Dancing Lights
- Snowflake Lights
- Wreath on a Car
Other Perks to Christmas Scavenger Hunts:
- Great for Social Distancing
- The Entire Family can Participate
- Great Idea for Christmas Party Activity
- Easy to do with Youth Group
- Fun Family NIght
- Creative Date Night
- Simple Way
- You Can do it at Your Own House
If you’re in need of more fun family activity ideas you’ll want to see the over 30 great family activity ideas I’ve come up with that are great for family members any time of the year.
And if you’re in need of a nature scavenger hunt. This could be the perfect choice for you.
My hope is that this free printable Christmas Scavenger Hunts willy quickly become your favorite family tradition and help you create family memories that you will look back on years to come with fondness in your heart!